penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Monday, November 06, 2006

We Met With a Handshake and Parted With a Hug

my 50th post! in honour of it, a tribute to you.

That heading is so not typical me, but aptly describes my feelings about Metro Mama’s Toronto Blogger Cocktail Party Saturday night.

Due to chronic absenteeism, this was my very first time meeting in person many of the amazing women I have known in the blogoshpere for months, and I tells ya, ain’t nothin’ like the real thing, baby.

I was looking to this night with anticipation for weeks, but as the date of the ‘do drew nearer, I started to feel a little anxious. Would I get along with them in real life? Would I have anything interesting or clever, or at the very least coherent to say, or would my words, without benefit of the editing power of blog posts, betray me and have these people wondering just who the ghostwriter at penelope and bumblee is? What would I wear? These (and many others) were questions that swirled about in my head until we literally opened the door to MM’s place and began discovering the answers (except the ‘what would I wear’ question. Luckily for all guests I figured that out beforehand and did not show up in the buff. Next time.)

I was a bit thrown off when we arrived; everybody was slightly more civilized than I am used to (read – our friends are serious losers and do things like belch – why was no one belching!?), and I was afraid that my exhuberance would have no outlet. I made a few stupid jokes about identifying each other by our children’s picture, and saying things like, wow, you’re a lot taller than on the internet (waka waka, I’m here all week. Try the veal.), and then retreated to the corner with chris to make more stupid jokes, guzzle a beer and find a lampshade that fit.

And then I met the wonderful Kitten Pie and her hubs, Mister Pie. And then I met one of my blogging idols, the mistress of Bub and Pie and her husband, master of the squash-o-lantern. And CrazyMumma, who I just want to be friends with, y’know? And Something Baby Blue’s Jana who I loved as much as I knew I would (and thankfully did not come to blows with over a who-loves-darcy tucker-more comptetion – btw, she would have kicked my ass). And then Mamalooper and Lisa B , who are awesome. And the super GORGEOUS Sunshine Scribe , who I laughed it up with real good. And Her Bad Mother, who has eyes and intellect that are electric. And Urban Mommy who was away from her wee babe for the first time, and even though I didn’t get to chat with her or Ali or Mouse as much as I would have liked, it didn’t take long to figure out these are my kind of people as much in 3D as they are in the blogosphere.

Even Chris, who kinda doesn’t get the whole blogging thing, stopped making jokes about me accompanying him to a gathering of on-line halo players (don’t worry; no such animal exists – the gathering, that is), and had fun.

Conversation flowed easily, from talk of blogging and politically-loaded conferences on mothering to raves for babies and home renovation and yes, we talked about you if you weren’t there (with love, with love!) and it took until about midnight before we started talking about our kid(s). By then we were good and liquoured up and became privvy to all sorts of sordid confessions like ‘I’ve seen my fat gay neighbours nekkid!’ and, ‘my kid is kind of mean!’ and, ‘well I let mine perch on precarious objects of questionable height!’ and, ‘I don’t know what a meme is!’ (thank you chris and g. for clearing that up) , and ‘I don’t know what a star is made of!’

And proudly, we stayed ‘til the end, and do you know how long it has been since that has happened? Sure, I see the asshole end of 3am all the bloody time, but when you purposely stay up late? Well, you feel like crap when your snotty, sniffly babe wakes up at 7 and won’t go back to sleep no matter how much you beg, but that is another post entirely.

So, thank you Metro and Sean; you have been great friends and great hosts for years, and Saturday night was certainly no exception.

p.s. ladies of the t-dot that could not make it - next time, next time. there are still plenty of really embarrasing confessions to be made.

17 Comments:

  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Blog said…

    Oh, wish I could have been there! next time. :) Sounds like a great time was had by all!

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger ms blue said…

    It was great fun! It's about time that we got to hang out. I think that there is plenty of Mr. Tucker for both of us. But that probably means leaving his stunning wife with our husbands, which I'm not too keen on.

    As for those liquored confessions, that was my imaginary, twin sister.

     
  • At 2:26 AM, Blogger Lady M said…

    So envious - wish I was on your coast!

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger SuperP. said…

    That would have been enormous fun! What a great idea to meet, all of you.


    And, I love this: ‘well I let mine perch on precarious objects of questionable height!’

    LMAO!!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger metro mama said…

    Chris should write a post on his very detailed and insightful meme explanation. Can we call it What the fuck is a meme and how do you pronounce it?

    Glad you had fun! I did too.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Gorgeous?!?! I think I love you. Really.

    So good to meet you finally! Looking forward to swaping more fat gay nekkid neighbour stories again real soon :)

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger moplans said…

    I was totally expecting you to have a lampshade on your head.
    Wasn't everyone well behaved? I have a feeling that may change over time. I don't see any of them as belchers though.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger motherbumper said…

    Oh man, I really missed a great time (damnit) and reading this I know that I would SOOOOO get along great with you. I have so many drunken confessions waiting to get let loose that we need to get a drink SOON! Next time I SWEAR!

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger kittenpie said…

    they are all so great and fun and nice, arent' they? Sandra IS gorgeous, Jana so lovely, Ann has such a laid-back vibe, Julie's such a great easygoing lady... I love me some torontoblogmamas. I am so cranky we pooped out early, but it was good to meet you, and now I will remember to come over and read more regularly!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Run ANC said…

    Sounds like it was a lot of fun! It would have been great to meet you all in person...

    And, yes, I would like a detailed explanation of what a "meme" is and how to properly pronounce it.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like such fun!! Hopefully I'll get to the next one.

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there just wasn't enough time for me...especially since i was meeting everyone for the first time AND i was trying to make sure the husband wasn't uberbored...

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    I'm still regretting not seeing the asshole end of 3am. Next time, fo' shizzle.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    yet another reason to wish i was canadian...again.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said…

    what the hell is a MEME anyhow?
    Damn, one more reason I should have been there.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    Oh honey, I totally want to be friends with you too. there is no stopping us now! And your husband Chris (Rocks) Hee Hee, musical joke, whatever....I'm old. Bear with me. By the way, the shirt you wore has me doing pushups so I can wear one and can look as groovy as you.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger cinnamon gurl said…

    What did you wear? I wanted to know from the moment you mentioned it in your post but now Crazymumma's comment has me even more nosey.

    Sounds like a great time! And I've had to get Sugar Daddy to explain the meme thing too... it's time like those that I really enjoy having a geeky husband.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape