penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hi Honey, We're Home

Don’t know why I’m having such a hard time with the homecoming post, but I just am not sure I can encapsulate our trip in a witty, engaging way right now.

How can I possibly share the sublime irony with which we opened my dad’s kitchen cupboards to find that he had already bought groceries for all of his visiting children, only he forgot that those same children are no longer five and don’t really eat things like this anymore?



Except, of course, you’ll notice that the bag is almost empty, and I brought home a toddler and a husband with a newfound fondness for CocoRoos.

And really, unless you experienced the stomach ache, I cannot possibly illustrate the sheer gluttonous food-fest that is the Golden Corral buffet. Christ, that place is addictive. You should have seen our plates, loaded with such mouth-watering combos as broccoli and jello (bee’s pick), chicken tenders and refried beans, and my favorite, onion rings and banana pudding. Did I mention that we went twice and that’s only because when I rallied for a third time, I was overruled (3-5) and we went to a Chinese buffet instead?

I’m also having a hard time figuring out how to convey the week-long evolution of my husband’s early-life crisis, which began with his 31st birthday and found him driving a minivan full of kids, wearing argyle socks, doing puzzles and playing shuffleboard not two days later. By the way, shuffleboard rocks, and chris is the champion. We told him it’s because we are Jewish and shuffleboard is not a Jewish sport, like Mah-jong or eating.



Also, I can’t believe I didn’t take more pictures of my dad’s amazing new place, a very quaint gated community (don’t get all, Exclusivity! Snobbery! Privilege! on me – my dad essentially lives in a double-wide, and pretty much every community is gated – not sure who they’re trying to keep out. Maybe some octagenarians that prefer my dad’s shuffleboard lanes to their own?) where everybody waves to each other, and I’m pretty sure my 64-year old pater is one of the youngest residents. That, of course, is fine with him. My dad doesn’t move very quickly and likes the quiet life. And he’s got it. Us kids are just happy that he’s happy, isn’t renting (as he was for the first year back in the states), and that we have access to tennis courts, a pool heated to soup temp, a clubhouse with poker and pool tables, crazy-ass birds that walk around like they own the g-d place, and did I mention shuffleboard? God, I love shuffleboard. Oh, and you really have to watch yourself when you’re walking around, as there are no sidewalks and at any moment some crazed senior citizen is very likely to come whipping around the corner in their golf-cart (the preferred method of transportation within the gates).

Of course, the most difficult part for me to accurately express is how wonderful it was to spend a week with my family. There are no other people in the world who understand (and, well, often misunderstand) me better than the 7 other people I vollied for bathroom time with last week. To see my dad on the floor colouring with both of his granddaughters; to play skip-bo (our family game) with all of my sibs at the same time; to laugh about the contents of my dad’s fridge and his meticulous, deliberate, thoughtful way of doing everything; to watch my baby’s face light up when a family of egrets (florida’s answer to pigeons) cross the road; to sit in the sunshine while my neice splashes in the pool with my husband – well, you know what those moments are like.



And now? Well, Bee has finally adjusted to being home again, the laundry is done, and we are broke, just in time for the holidays. That’s ok; I’ll just get creative – and really, who doesn’t like seashell paperweights?

***

Don't forget to check out how we northern mamas rock it at Mommy Blogs Toronto!

18 Comments:

  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    Hell who needs presents with memories like those. So good to have you back, hope it was an awesomely good time!

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger metro mama said…

    Oh, that last pic with Bee, the bubble, and Chris? Beautiful.

    Glad you had fun.

    I thought my family was the only one who loved Skip-bo.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    i missed you. glad you are back safe and sound, and after a wonderful week with your family.

    the bubble pic is lovely.

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger Lady M said…

    Wow, that sounded like a terrific week. It can be entertaining and education to hear about people's troubles with their family, but I really love hearing from folks who *love* being with their families!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger moplans said…

    amazing. its worth it to be broke.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger cinnamon gurl said…

    Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip and that's a great photo with the bubble!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger lisalou said…

    COCO ROOS! Count me in!

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Urban Daddy said…

    Sounds like you guys had a wonderfully memorable time. Worth every penny, eh?

    Well, welcome back! Loads of festive time coming up with Hanukkah and Christmas, and I'm sure the little Bee is just starting to get into the holiday spirit as she is a little older and wiser this year and understands it just a little bit better. Enjoy!

    P.S. You never mentioned the turkey!

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger ewe are here said…

    Sounds like you have a lovely lovely family. Glad you had such a nice visit.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Bea said…

    I think I was AT that buffet last night! Except I was still here in London. But otherwise the same: roast beef, turkey and stuffing, sweet and sour chicken balls, steamed crab legs, chocolate pudding, a bun with margarine, and German chocolate cake! All together in my tummy! Yum.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    Sounds like a great trip!

    And who doesn't love Golden Corral? Where else can you get five different preparations of a potato on one buffet? Yum!

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Run ANC said…

    That last photo with Bee and the Bubble is priceless. Definite wall material.

    Glad you're back!

    What is Skip-bo??

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said…

    sounds like such a fun time.

    Isn't it so great to watch your kids interact and bond with a grandparent?
    cute photos too..

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    LOVE that bubble pic. LOVE IT.

    But I'm also still thinking of those onion rings that you mentioned... drooool...

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger karengreeners said…

    isn't that picture great? the pics featured are not usually snapped by me, so i'm kind of proud to have gotten such a cool one.

    nomo - skip-bo is the greatest card game ever invented. by the makers of uno.

    mm - we play it 'up and down' - we're crazy like that.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Best bubble pic ever.

    Glad you had such a good time with your family. Yay!

    Now I am craving Cocoroos though....

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger scarbie doll said…

    Did you read that awesome article in Toronto Life about Jews' obsession with Chinese food? You must Google it if not.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger karengreeners said…

    Scarbie - I did! It was a great article. I read it and went straight out for some wonton soup.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape