penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Friday, October 06, 2006

BOO!

I've mentioned this before, but I love Halloween. Probably more now than I did as a kid. That could be because being the architect of my own night is way more satisfying than having to wear the same clown costume for four years in a row until I finally outgrew it and could be what I wanted to be - the witch that my sister had been for 4 years until she finally outgrew her costume.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I loved Halloween back then too - filling my bag with my neighbour's loot, then driving to my aunt's neighbourhood and filling another bag with her neighbour's loot, then driving back home to sort out all the loot. There was a clear candy heirarchy going on: chocolate bars enjoyed the upper eschelons of supreme candiness, then kraft caramels, then chips, then gum, then rockets, then the assorted candies, and last - and definitely least - candy kisses, those plasticized nuggets of grossness wrapped in orange and black waxpaper with scenes of witches on them.
We would count, trade, gloat or sulk as necessary, offer my mum the requisite Caramilk and Aero bars, and let the real crap sit in the bottom of the bag until around January, when it would finally be thrown out.

I enjoyed many successes at Halloween over the years, but there were a couple of shaky moments, like when I peed in my pants at my grade 6 Halloween party, dressed in my friend's mom's old prom dress (a bunch of us gals were 50's era teeny boppers that year), because I was laughing so hard at something stupid. Or in grade 8, when I thought I was dressing up like Charlie Chaplin, that loveable tramp, but ended up looking more like Hitler. Or that first Halloween after me and Chris had moved in together - I was so excited to be living in a house again (albeit in the basement apartment of the house), and would actually have a front door that neighbourhood kids could come to. So, I decorate our door, which is really only 5 steps down, put an orange bulb in the light outside the door, which illuminates nicely my elaborately carved jack o'lantern, and buy the really good candy. And wait. And wait. And wait. And I can hear the little brats going upstairs to the main door, but no one - not a one of them venture down the 5 steps to my festive, welcoming apartment. So I go outside to give out the candy, but not for long, as this just feels a little desperate. I'm pretty sure I ate all that candy I had bought that night.

But we've just celebrated our 2 year move-in anniversary in our house, and our 3rd Halloween here is coming up. I can't wait, but it's getting a bit late and I don't have much of a plan yet. What plan? you might be asking. You might be asking why we don't just buy the candy, put out the pumpkin and bob's your uncle, right?

No way! We need a plan. We have standards, and ours have been set high. The first Halloween here I was in my first trimester and totally pukey, but we still managed to do this:



Last year bumblebee was here, and I was excited to get her in on the action, so I did this:





and we did this:







Fun, huh?

So this year, we gotta... well, we'll think of something. At least bumblebee's costume is in the works, and I have a back-up just in case. Of course, she's been wearing her back-up all week because she loves it, and at this rate I'm not sure it'll make it to Halloween if we need it. Oh well, more motivation to get the glue gun out and get creating. (there will be no sewing involved. ever.)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted, and hey! If you're in the neighbourhood on Halloween, drop by - I'll have the good candy.

16 Comments:

  • At 12:26 AM, Blogger Run ANC said…

    Your pumpkin zombies are the funnies thing I've seen in a long time. I would laugh out loud, but I'm afraid of waking up The Boy.

    I'm with you on the no sewing thing. I'm going to attempt to make The Boy's costume this year, and the first thing I did was hunt out the glue gun.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger moplans said…

    That flower costume rocks and I LOVE the zombies.
    Now I am feeling the pressure to step up.
    Must get to a pumpkin farm....

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    LOVE the pumpkn zombies. LOVE.

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    The zombie pumpkins are awesome!

    We're probably going to decorate tomorrow evening for Halloween. This is probably my favorite time of the year.

    Our neighborhood is still being built, so for the last two years we didn't have many kids at trick-or-treat because they didn't want to walk all the way down to our house. Hopefully we'll have more this year, especially since we always give out the good candy.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger cinnamon gurl said…

    The rockets were always on the bottom of my candy totem pole.

    What a great flower costume!

    So - I have to ask... what exactly do you do with an 8-month-old on halloween? I have a costume for him but where do we show it off... do we go trick-or-treating?

     
  • At 3:32 AM, Blogger Lady M said…

    I had friends who hosted a yearly Halloween party before they moved out of state. The invitation read, "Come carve pumpkins and feast on their brains!" We should have made some zombies like yours.

    I don't even have a costume plan for Q yet. Will have to think soon.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Alida Sharp said…

    pumpkin zombies! what a great idea!

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger lisalou said…

    We love halloween too! Last year we hosted a superheros party. Every one came as a newly invented super hero. And we had a musical chairs style pumpkin carving contest. This year, I think we're having a celebrity party. We're going to be Britany Spears and K Fed. I think Hubby will look cute as a pregnant pop star don't you?

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    i am dying over here from the cuteness of it all. you've inspired me.

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Blogger Debbie said…

    I can't stop bulleting my comments lately. hope you don't loathe the sight of bulleted lists. here goes nothin':

    a) crazy, zombie punkins? you rule.

    b) omigod. I was a clown for four years (or more, the memory craps out from those years in spots), too. hey. lessee; you had the similar mid-twenties experience to me, and I had the same clown-costume repetition as you. hummm. veddy interesting. what else is doppelganger-esque about us? curious.

    c) that babay is pretty fabulous in the sweet, glue-gunned costume. pretty kissable, too.

    d) punkin zombies attack!

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger metro mama said…

    You're inspiring me. Maybe I can talk Cakes' Grandma into a homemade costume.

    Love the zombies.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    Halloween is the best day/night of the year. I dress up every year as the most hideous zombie bride. Ilove it I love it I love it....

    Those pumpkins are spectacular!

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger karengreeners said…

    cinnamon gurl - you answer the door with your babe, and let all the parents shlepping their kids door-to-door ooh and aww over yours! and, you take loads of pictures.

    lildb - can't wait to find out!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your hierarchy of loot does not include non-candy items. I can remember a few favs that we would plan our route around yearly: the house that handed out small plush toys had to be hit early in the evening, as did the house with stickers and coloured pens, even if just for the novelty effect.

    The guy handing out toothbrushes was to be avoided at all costs. Home-made options were always a bummer because the parents would dispose of them immediately (even back then, what a shame).

    I too love Hallowe'en and having spent the last seven years living in (two different) apartments on busy streets and have not had the joy of trick or treaters coming to my door in far too long. (Some years I'd trek to the 'burbs and hang out at the family home in pure desperation).

    The same happens with my brother--and he usually loads up on *full size* versions of Hallowe'en treats. Can you imagine, there's a guy out there looking to give out full size snickers and no kids show up? Would never happen in our day! Word on the street would have had him cleaned out in 15 minutes.

    No, really, he's not a pedophile. You can approach.

    Now that we have a house on a child-friendly street I am very excited.

    Still trying to think of a neat costume for the wee one...

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Mad said…

    I love Hallowe'en too but I always seem to be too lazy to do much in the way of decorating. Kudos to your efforts.

    Also, your post made me remember that I got kicked out of school in grade 11 for showing up dressed as a pregnant angel. Sheesh.

    BTW, I love candy kisses. With each suck I can feel my fillings being drawn out from my teeth.

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger scarbie doll said…

    I also love October holidays the best! You've got me thinking of a halloween post. Though I can never get it together enough to make my house look like that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape